Monday, March 29, 2010

Singleness and the Soul Retreat, Session 1

Wow, I'm not very good at posting on here, am I? :-) Well, I wanted to share some wonderful things I learned at a retreat this past weekend. It was called "Singleness and the Soul," but the emphasis was really on the "soul" part and not the "singleness," so 99% of my notes will be beneficial to everyone. :-) I'll do this in a series of posts, so here are the notes from session 1:

(Please excuse the awkward formatting. I couldn't figure out how to make it any better on here, since it would only allow one depth of indentation, and I couldn't figure out how to separate paragraphs without a space inbetween.)


Session 1 – Kelly O’Rear – 3-26-10

Three reactions to singleness:
  1. Groan
  2. Grab
  3. Grow

Only one thing is ultimate, and only one thing defines me. And it is a daily battle to see to it that what is ultimate is what defines me.

Psalm 27:1-3 – “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? When evildoers assail me to eat up my flesh, my adversaries and foes, it is they who stumble and fall. Though an army encamp against me, my heart shall not fear; though war arise against me, yet I will be confident.”

  • Progression:
    o V. 1 – “whom” – singular
    o V. 2 – “evildoers”/“adversaries” – plural
    o V. 3 – “army”/“war” – intensified numbers
  • David speaks with confidence. “Confidence is the child of experience.” (Charles Spurgeon)
  • David’s danger was real, but he had it in perspective. Verse 4 provides the perspective.

Psalm 27:4 – “One thing have I asked of the Lord, that will I seek after: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord and to inquire in His temple.”

  • David asks for “one thing” but lists three things. They are a beautiful progression – dwelling in the Lord’s house, beholding His beauty, and interacting with Him.
  • “Dwell in the house of the Lord”
    o Tabernacle:
     Central place of worship
     Reminder of God’s presence
     Place of atonement
    o Basking in God’s presence, enjoying Him
  • “Gaze upon the beauty of the Lord”
    o His beauty is eternal, infinite, and breathtaking
  • “Inquire in His temple” (or “meditate in his tabernacle” – NASB)
    o Seeking, interacting with God

We’re always IN God’s presence, but we’re not always AWARE of God’s presence.

You can never DRIFT into a close relationship with the Almighty. It only comes through wholehearted asking and seeking! If you’re drifting, it will automatically be AWAY from Him.

Everybody is inherently a worshiper.

What is the ONE THING that defines you, drives you, motivates you, guides your decisions, provides the grid work through which you see life? What one thing shows up most in your thoughts, daydreams, conversations? What one thing effects how you see yourself, how you do relationships, what you worship, etc.? Where do you find your identity? (Can be a person, past event, need for approval, lack in self, etc.) It should be the gospel.

“My people’s greatest need is for my own personal holiness” (quote from a pastor). This is true for us in regard to our family, friends, etc.



No comments: