Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer Adventures!

  
Well, here's a little update on my summer.  I got home from college on May 11, and had a few weeks to rest and unpack.  The last weekend in May, I went to a filmmaking workshop offered by Advent Film Group.  The first night, I got lost in Leesburg and couldn't find my way to the CiCi's where the whole group would be having dinner together.  I was pretty upset, because I figured it was the best (and easiest) way to meet people since the breaks during the day were so short, and I was having a hard time getting past my shyness.  Anyway, God had a plan it in, because it opened the door to having dinner with Mr. Escobar and his family and all the interns the following night.  I spent about four hours at the Escobar home and had a great time!






Less than two weeks later, I celebrated my birthday, and then my family left for ten days of vacation at the lake.  I got chiggers the first day, so I was rather miserable the rest of the time, but I still had fun reading, playing games, taking pictures, and watching movies with my family.  We also went out in the canoe and got to see eagles and otters (neither of which I was able to get pictures of, unfortunately), as well as other wildlife.





Two days after I got back from vacation, I left to serve at Bethel Bible Camp as a counselor for a week.  I'd never been to Bethel before, but I knew the family who runs it and one of my closest friends was also going to be a counselor that week.  I had a wonderful week and made lots of new friends.  The only problem was that I couldn't sleep all week!  It was very strange.  I've never had a prolonged case of insomnia before.  The exhaustion made me feel sick every day, so I would lay in bed all morning and feel better by the afternoon.  It was rough, but God still blessed me through my time there and I was sad to leave at the end of the week.








I had a week at home before I headed to Aletheia Springs Christian Education Center to help in the kitchen during girls' week.  That week went much better and I was able to sleep and not get sick at all (for the first time in my four years at Aletheia!).  Still, after what happened at Bethel, I had already suggested that the people at both Bethel and Aletheia find a substitute for me for the two weeks I was supposed to help at the end of July (which they did).









Meanwhile, I was invited to come to North Carolina to help with the pickup filming for Advent Film Group's latest feature film, "Hero," during the last week of July.  Suddenly I had a bright idea!  Maybe God had allowed me to suffer insomnia and sickness my week at Bethel so they would find a substitute for me for the last week in July when I was supposed to come back, which made me available to go help with the filming!  Yet another example of how God works in mysterious ways to bring His will to pass!

So after Aletheia, I was home for two weeks, then went to NC with my brother Daniel to help with a feature film.  We just got back a few days ago.  It was an amazing week!  Very difficult (I think I averaged about 4 hours of sleep a night, and the heat was really rough out on the baseball field all week), but it was a very good experience.  The cast and crew were great to to work with, and I enjoyed developing many new friendships.







I think the craziest experience came on Sunday.  Daniel and I drove three hours round-trip to Raleigh-Durham to pick up a crew member from the airport.  Later that afternoon, we were asked to go back to pick up an important cast member.  We drove 1.5 hours out there, then waited at Cracker Barrel for 2 hours because his flight was delayed, then went to the airport to get him and figured out that he was in the wrong airport.  He had flown into Wilmington, which was 2 hours south of us.  We doubted they would ask us to drive down and get him since that would put us on the road all night, so we started back home.  Half an hour later, we were asked to drive down and bring him back if we were up to it.  So we drove 2.5 hours down, picked up him at midnight, and drove 3.5 hours back up to Winston-Salem, arriving about 4:00 am.  So I got to sleep at 6:00 am and slept for about three hours.  I couldn't sleep any longer so I went to the set for half a day.  As I figured, we were on the road about 13 hours on Sunday.  It was crazy!  But we were glad to help.  :-)







Now I'm home for less than a week, then I'm driving to PA for my college roommate's wedding.  A week after that, another friend gets married, and then in September, I'm heading out again to help with Advent's next feature film.  I'm so excited!  It will be a longer shoot (likely 3 months), but I've heard that right now the plan is to have 5 day weeks, which will be great.

So...there you have it.  It sure has been a busy summer!  But it is amazing how God has worked through seemingly negative situations to weave His beautiful plan for my life.  I am still amazed that He has provided these two wonderful filmmaking opportunities for me so quickly.  I guess I fully expected to have to sit around a year or two after college like a lot of people do, waiting for an opportunity to come along, but God dumped these things right in my lap before three months have passed!  His love and provision for me is overwhelming. I'm so glad that my future is in His hands.  :-)
  

4 comments:

Jonathan Hedrick Photography said...

Hey, Jonathan here from Jonathan Hedrick Photography, that's awesome you were able to attend the filmmaking workshop with Advent. Will you be involved with their new film that they're getting ready to start shooting this fall?

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Hello, Jonathan! Yes, I am very happy to say that I'll be interning with the art department for Advent's next film! I helped with props during the pickups for HERO, and that's what I'll be doing again (although I'll admit that I'm much more excited this time, since tomahawks and such things are a lot more fascinating to me than baseball bats! :-D). I'm thrilled to be helping with an historical drama! Will you be working on ALONE, by any chance?

I think it's so awesome that you got to help with "Ace Wonder"! I wanted to intern for that film very badly, but God had a different plan (which has led to my current involvement with Advent, so I'm not complaining!). I really hope I get to work with HeuMoore Productions at some point, though, because I really love the kind of projects that John Moore has been doing.

So you're in Christiansburg? I live about 2.5 - 3 hours from there. In fact, I sometimes go to Blacksburg to visit some friends of mine at VA Tech. I might swing by there again one Saturday in September, depending on how long we're filming in Roanoke (which I don't think will be long, considering that we have to cover 5 locations in 2 months).

I really love your photography! I want to be trained in several on-set jobs for filmmaking, but I've decided the one job that would always make me happy would be that of set photographer! I feel overwhelmed by how much I need to learn, though, (and trying to figure out how to acquire this knowledge). Plus I need to save a lot of money for a top-grade camera. Oh, boy...

How did you get started in photography? Did you take classes, or learn from another photographer, or figure most of it out on your own? If you ever feel like offering any advice (or specific criticisms based on pictures I've posted), feel free to do so! :-)

Jonathan Hedrick Photography said...

Hey Stacey! That is so awesome that you are going to be interning! That will be a great experience for sure. I’m excited to see how this film turns out. So is the area of art department what you like doing? Or what area are you most interested in? Unfortunately I will not be working on ALONE, I had a prior commitment. I will most likely be coming on set with my brother for a period of time sometime this month though!
I had an amazing experience on set of Ace Wonder. It was a great learning experience and time of spiritual growth as well! I’m excited to have the opportunity to be on another set. Yes, I live in Christiansburg. That’s great that you don’t live too far away from set! I only live about 3.5 hours from the set of Ace Wonder, and it was nice to be that close for a visit from the family 
I’m glad you like the photography! You have some great pictures yourself! I really enjoy the art of taking pictures. I got started over 5 years ago, and I’ve basically taught myself how to use a camera and It just took off from there. I’ve studied a lot of pictures and photographers styles over the years as well. I have also had advice from other photographers and I took one class. I think one of the best ways to learn photography is just to take pictures! That’s the advice I was given. Of course you need to know the basics of how a camera works, but after that it’s all about taking pictures!
Yes, there is a lot to learn and I think one of the best ways to do so is to be on set of a film! That has helped me so much, and I am very grateful to those who have made these experiences possible. I guess you are going to be on set for the entire film? How many films have you worked on?
Well, I look forward to being on set and of course reading posts of your experience on set; I’m sure we’ll meet on set. I pray that all goes well for you on set and that you learn all that God has in store for you.

Jonathan

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Hey, Jonathan!

Yes, the art department is probably the best fit for me right now. I'm surprised they didn't put me in wardrobe as a seamstress (maybe they forgot I have advanced sewing experience). I'll be helping with props like I did for HERO pickups. It's fine, but it's not something I'd want to do the rest of my life. Actually, the one job I'd love the most would be set photographer. I came to that realization this summer, which is why I'm suddenly motivated to figure out what steps I need to take before I can be worthy of hire for such a position. :-)

Meanwhile, I want to get familiar with as many filmmaking jobs as possible. Not only would I like to be a widely-skilled, useful person to have on set, but it will help if I end up making my own films one day. What was your position with Ace Wonder? Were you set photographer, or did you have a different job?

It will be great if you and your brother come to visit the set! It would be nice to meet you. :-) I don't know how long we'll be in Roanoke, but it may not be very long since we have 5 locations to cover in 8 weeks (which averages to less than 2 weeks in each place). They haven't told us how long we'll be there, so I have no idea. We start production on Sept. 13 (but you probably already know that). I'm driving down this Wednesday.

Thank you for your encouragement! I definitely try to practice as much as I can, and I do learn a lot by looking at other people's photography. I guess right now I really need to learn the technical stuff (like how to adjust different settings to achieve different results). I have a huge textbook, but it's so much easier for me to learn if someone just shows me how things work. I'm hoping I'll have the chance to learn a lot from the good photographers we'll have on set these next two months. :-)

And yes, I'll be on set for the duration of the production, which is supposed to last from Sept. 13 - Nov. 5. We'll be in Roanoke, Williamsburg, Yorktown, PA, and TN. It'll be a lot of traveling, that's for sure! At least we don't have far to go between Williamsburg and Yorktown. :-D I just hope I can find people to ride with me, because I know I'm going to end up exhausted and it's really hard for me to drive long distances when I'm tired. We'll see how it goes! I'm definitely excited about the chances we'll have to go sight-seeing on our weekends off. :-)

Besides a few small student projects when I was at college, the only film experience I've had was the one week of HERO pickups in July. I'm so glad I had that opportunity to "get my feet wet" so I'd have a better idea of what to expect from these next two months. It will still be a very new experience since it will last so long, but at least I'm not going into it with absolutely NO idea what to expect. Plus it was reassuring to get along so well with the cast and crew, and meet some of the interns that will be coming back for this one. I love making new friends and having bonding experiences like this so you feel like family. :-)

Thank you! It is really amazing how God dropped this tremendous opportunity in my lap, and I am so excited to see what He is going to teach me and what He has in store for me! I have a hard time dealing with lack of sleep and exhaustion (I usually feel pretty sick), but I know He will give me the strength to endure whatever happens. It will be a new way to learn how to rely completely on His strength, and I'm sure it will be quite humbling. Altogether, I'm very excited, and I look forward to hopefully meeting you soon! :-)