Friday, November 19, 2010

Joe Ruggiero

  
Joe was a unique individual.  He joined our team in the props department during the last week of pre-production.  At first I was intimidated by his rough look and muscular build, but his kind heart and friendly manner soon put me at ease.  From the beginning, I was amazed at how skilled and knowledgeable he was!  Joe brought us a massive amount of props – guns, pelts, tomahawks, war clubs, trinkets, and even a huge einbaum canoe that he had dug out himself!

The first weekend after production started, 30-40 of the interns were going to an outdoor vintage dance that some friends of mine were hosting near the Roanoke area.  Joe hadn’t really starting hanging out with us yet, but he heard about the dance and wanted to come.  At first I was concerned, because I knew he was used to attending events with a much rougher crowd – definitely not conservative, homeschooling families.  But I had no cause to worry.  Joe was a perfect gentleman, and he had a great time!  He danced almost every dance, and threw himself into it with the vitality and exuberance that characterized his life.  Afterwards, he thanked me repeatedly for organizing the trip and said he couldn’t remember the last time he had so much fun. 

Joe started hanging out with us more after that weekend, and we embraced him into our group.  God laid it on many of our hearts to pray often for his salvation.  We were overjoyed when he asked if he could attend the worship services that we held on Sunday mornings.  We could see that God was working in his heart.

Even more amazing was the fact that Joe was still part of the crew.  The original plan was for him to come on board for only two weeks, then leave.  During the last part of that second week, he expressed to me how much he didn’t want to leave.  He started swearing and complaining that our bosses were trying to get rid of him but wouldn’t tell him to his face.  I started to remind him that they were just following the plan that had been in place all along, but instead I just listened sympathetically and told him I was sorry he would have to go.  The next Monday morning, he was still there.  

Later, when several of us were laid off, Joe was able to see the contrast in our reaction and how we handled the situation in faith, trusting God to lead us where He wanted us and rejoicing in His faithfulness.  I believe that was a powerful testimony that probably really grabbed Joe’s attention.

In the following weeks, several young men had the chance to have some great conversations with Joe.  Joe revealed to Dan Stibral that he had actually had a very religious background.  He grew up attending Sunday School and had even led a youth group.   The past several years, however, he had really turned his back on God.  But he said that being with us was drawing him back to towards the Lord, although he added that he wasn’t sure he was quite ready to make that decision.  During the last company move to Williamsburg, he said that he would spend a lot of time in the woods, just thinking and sorting through a lot of things.

We can’t know for sure if he made that decision to give his life to Christ before he died, but we DO know that God wouldn’t let him go until He was ready for him to go.  We also have the comforting assurance of having seen God work in Joe’s heart during all these weeks on production.  Why was Joe still on production after the first two weeks?  Because God knew that his time was running out and he needed to be here with us so we could show him God’s love.  I am so glad that we got to be a part of that. 

As I stood outside of the auditorium at the film festival and wept tears of grief when I found out that Joe was dead, I also realized that all of this made me love God more, because I had witnessed God’s love for Joe.  I had seen Him wooing Joe to Himself, and it was a beautiful thing.  And I knew that everything would be all right.  God gave me peace.  He was my strength and comfort.

I am also very grateful for the people He surrounded me with at that time.  Alone, it would have been much harder to cope with.  But there were roughly 15 of us from the crew that were there at the film festival, and we were able to help support each other and find comfort in our shared grief and in shared memories.  

Doug Phillips also ministered to us in a huge way that night by inviting all of us to his suite in the hotel after the program had concluded.  We were able to gather there and pray together, share about Joe, and experience sweet fellowship.  I am so grateful for Mr. Phillip’s kindness, and for Geoff Botkin who called me when he heard the news to make sure I was all right.  We had just met the night before, but he knew I had worked with Joe and he reached out to me in love.  That really touched my heart.

The next weekend, I was able to drive to TN for Joe’s memorial service.  An entire restaurant was rented out for the evening, and almost the entire crew plus many of the cast members came.  Joe’s parents and brother were there as well.  I’d say we had 150-175 people there, if not more.  As part of the program, I was privileged to be able to sing the theme song from the film with Rebekah, Christy, and Angela.  The message was very relevant to the occasion and many people were blessed.  It was a special time altogether, and I am so glad that the Lord worked it out for me to be able to be there.

To conclude, I would urge you never to waste an opportunity to show Christ’s love to the people around you.  You have no idea how much longer they have to live, and you may be the instrument that God uses to bring them to Himself.

  (I took this picture at our worship service on the dock at a park in Newport News.  Joe had stumbled into the breakfast room that morning with bleary eyes and tousled hair to find out when we were going to have our service because he wanted to join us.)
   

1 comment:

Theosandrias said...

Great post Stacey. I wasn't there with you all, but now the picture of what happened is clear.

<3