Saturday, January 22, 2011

Patriotic Aprons!

Last Thursday night was the Celebrity Cook-Off here in town, a yearly fundraiser that many businesses and organizations participate in by purchasing table space and serving food.  Mom helped figure out how to lay out and decorate the table for the Republican Party (my brother is the chairman for the local Republican committee).  The day before the Cook-Off, somebody mentioned how neat it would be to have patriotic aprons for the servers to wear.  All eyes turned to me, and I instinctively balked at the idea of making multiple aprons under such a short time pressure.  

However, I kept thinking about it, and Mom and I went to a local Mennonite fabric store and found patriotic material.  I examined one of our aprons and saw how easy it would be to construct even without a pattern, and the next day I got busy sewing!  I finished all three aprons with half an hour to spare.  They turned out great, and the whole process was relatively painless (no mistakes, to seams to rip out, or any of the other set-backs I usually run into)!  


I got dressed up and joined the "upper crust" at the Cook-Off, proving to myself that I could still look decent for society.  Haha!  :-D  Seriously, though, I haven't been out for a social function all winter and I've been turning into a hermit ready to hibernate the winter away...so this was a big step!  Also, I was very happy to see the Bakers there and have a chance to chat with them.  


Today was a pretty busy day.  It got off to a late start (for me, anyways) because I slept in until 9:30 or 10:00.  We went to a conference last night to hear Alistair Begg speak and didn't get back until close to 11:00, and it was right much later before I got to sleep.  Anyhow, this afternoon I folded a load of laundry, cleaned the bathroom, swept the hall and kitchen, spent 2 hours cooking noodles and grating cheese for the 7 spaghetti casseroles we're making for brunch at church tomorrow, spent almost another hour making a pasta salad for dinner (as if I hadn't had my fill of cooking noodles, haha!), did a 10 minute "fat burning cha-cha workout" with my friend Laura, watched an old pirate movie with my family, played with the puppies, and partially cleaned my room.  Whew!  Now I'm winding down and getting ready to go to sleep.

I hope everybody has a blessed day of worship and rest tomorrow!
  

No comments: