Monday, April 9, 2012

"Marooned" Short Film!

Here it is!!!  Our very first short film.  We shot it on my brother's Canon PowerShot IS something-or-other because I had just gotten my 60D and wasn't willing to take it out in the canoe.  Haha!  Anyway, about halfway through the week, we decided that it would be fun to make a little movie, so we sketched out an idea, grabbed the camera, and got to work. 

Knowing the importance of planning, I had tried to engage my brothers in some pre-production, but Stephen was too impatient and wanted to get on with the actual filming.  Since his participation was crucial and I couldn't afford to lose him, I cut the planning phase as short as possible.  Daniel and I watched through the trailer template on iMovie that had inspired us in the first place, got an idea of what kind of shots we needed, then joined Stephen outside and got started.

I don't think it took us more than two afternoons.  Even so, I got a good workout from rowing the canoe around so much!  First, to transport ourselves up the lake for the "island" scenes, and then for our actual rowing scenes (which we filmed several times - back and forth, back and forth - until Daniel was satisfied with what he got on the camera).

I've learned SO MUCH since we filmed this last September, and there are things I wish I could go back and change (more variety in the camera angles when we're filming Daniel sitting on the ground, for one thing!), but that is all part of the process of becoming better at your craft.  The more you learn, the more you're going to cringe when you see your past work (at least for most normal people).  It's just kind of embarrassing for me to post this NOW, after I've learned more, because I don't want my filmmaking friends to think I don't know any better.  I didn't know better seven months ago, but I do now.  :-)  And there are still SO MANY things I have yet to learn!

I would have posted this last year but I went to Purcellville to work on The Screenwriters about a week after I got home from vacation, and life has been pretty busy ever since.  It wasn't until last week that I finally got around to finishing the editing.  I used iMovie (since that's all we have), and I would say the biggest challenge was trying to score the film using the music available through iMovie.  All the dramatic pieces weren't more than 10 seconds long.  Yeah, you can see my dilemma.  Definitely don't want to go through that again. 

But enough talking!  Kick your feet up, lean back, and watch the film!  It's only a few minutes long.  I hope you enjoy it!  Words of encouragement and suggestions for improvement are both welcome!  :-)


  

4 comments:

Matthew said...

I enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing!

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Thank you, Matthew! I'm glad you liked it! Thanks for watching. :-)

Karissa said...

Fun! You know, you can make your own scores in GarageBand and make them as long as you want them. They have all sorts of sounds (tons more than iMovie) that are created to loop as long as you need them, and it gives you the flexibility to mix them and create your own sounds. Just saying… :-)

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Haha! Karissa, my video is amateur enough as it is without ME trying to score it! :-D It actually would be fun to try, but here's the problem...

1) I'm no composer
2) I don't have time for a fraction of the normal things I need to get done, much less the hours and hours it would take me to try and score a film

I'd love to try some day, but right now I need quick, free options. Somebody has suggested this site to me, and I can't wait to use it next time: www.incompetech.com