Sunday, April 15, 2012

Dogwood Tree

A few weeks ago, when my family was driving somewhere together, I spotted this tree and fell in love!  I'm very fond of dogwoods, and especially pink and white dogwoods!  I've been scouting around for a suitable tree that I could photograph for a local Arbor Day Photo Contest, and I knew I had found the perfect candidate (doubly suitable because the dogwood is our state tree!).  On our way home, my family was kind enough to stop in a crossover and let me run back along the median strip until I found a good vantage point to take my picture (thankfully I had my camera with me!). 

I downloaded a free trial of Lightroom 4 and set about to edit the picture.  It has been a very humbling experience.  My eye didn't catch some major color issues (like the overall tint of the picture) until I accidentally fixed them by playing around with the adjustment sliders.

Original Photograph:

Edited Version:

The contest closes at 4:30 tomorrow, so I think I'm done editing and tweaking.  I have so many projects in my queue that I'd best move on at this point.  I have pictures of cute babies to edit from the Walk for Life yesterday (and hundreds of pictures from the grand opening of a local branch of the Museum of the Confederacy from a few weeks ago...and hundreds of pictures from my pastor's birthday part from a few weeks before that...). 

Oh, and I've started a second part-time job working at a church-based day care center.  I worked there three half-days last week, and have no idea if or when they might call me this week.  Add to that several hemming and altering jobs I just acquired from the president of a local college and his wife, and I have a pretty busy week ahead of me!
  

2 comments:

Joshua and Stephanie said...

That is quite the stunning picture! Wow! you're so busy...

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Thank you, Stephanie! I'm getting ready to submit it to the contest now. Eeeeek! Unfortunately, I might not hear back for almost a month. Ohhhh, the suspense... :-)