Last Saturday, I went with my dad and my brothers to a local Cowboy Day celebration! I was so glad that my friend Michelle and her two youngest sisters were also able to come! We had a great time, despite the 99 degree weather and the heat index of 112 degrees. Yeah...it was hot. And humid.
I was treated like something of a celebrity because of my Annie Oakley costume. I got to walk in the parade and get announced, which was a very new experience! One of the men loaned me his gun, so that added a nice touch. The rest of the morning, I had adults wanting to take pictures OF me and WITH me, and of me with their kids! It was so much fun! And being a recognizable character makes it easier to meet people, too, because they can just say, "Hey, Annie Oakley!" and start a conversation. If I had been dressed in normal cowgirl clothes...nobody would have taken my picture and very few people would have tried to talk to me. (That sounds kinda sad...but we'll just say it's because I would have blended in with the crowd.)
I also had the wonderful privilege of meeting Chief Silverheels (son of Jay Silverheels, the actor who played Tonto), James Drury (famous for the title role in "The Virginian" TV show in the '60's), and Randy Boone (actor/singer who appeared in many western TV shows including "The Virginian," "Bonanza," "Gunsmoke," and "Wagon Train"). I have pictures of them below...
Speaking of pictures, I'll stop talking and let them tell the story for me! Enjoy!
Notice the symbol of the cross within the circle. :-)
"JC" for Jesus Christ, with the crown on the "J" to represent his Kingship. :-)
Some cowboy pals of ours!
I've known Sammy since I was a little girl first getting interested in Westerns!
Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels...
Me with Chief Silverheels (son of Jay Silverheels):
Actor/singer Randy Boone...
Randy Boone today!
James Drury dressed up as "The Virginian."
And here he is! You can't mistake that smile. :-)
Two of the little buckaroos I was asked to pose with. :-)
My lovely friend, Michelle! Doesn't she make a great cowgirl? :-)
Trying to look...productive? Authentic? Or maybe just having too much fun playing with the props. ;-)












4 comments:
That sounds so exciting!!!!!!! Maybe they'll ask you for your autograph to go along with your picture next time. :)
Cowboy Day looks like so much fun, and you make the perfect Annie Oakley, Stacey! I love your outfit! Did anyone ask you to show off your shootin' skill? ;)
I really enjoy reading your blog, Stacey, even though I don't often comment....
Be blessed today,
~Cora
Looks like fun!Tell all your friends to come and see my give away. I will have to do a cowoby post this fall!
Julie -- Haha! I think I would laugh out loud if somebody asked for my autograph! :-D
Cora -- Thank you! And yes, I did have a few people ask about my shooting skills, but mostly they just ask: "Annie, where's your gun?" Then I sigh and explain that I can't afford to buy one quite yet. :-) Thanks for reading my blog! (I know...I'm terrible about commenting, too.) Have a great week! :-)
Post a Comment