Saturday, July 2, 2011

AFG's Film Workshop 2011

Last year, I attended a film workshop put on by Advent Film Group [see this post].  It was a very encouraging weekend, and I was blessed to spend the last evening at the Escobars' home getting to know their family and the AFG interns.  That led to my involvement with the "Hero" pickups and the production of "Alone Yet Not Alone" last year.

This year, I volunteered to help with the workshop, and they put me in charge of catering for 80 people for three days.  I was a little overwhelmed...to put it mildly...but I was eager to help and I accepted the task.  I drove up a few days early and went with David to most of the restaurants we wanted to cater our meals (four total).  Fortunately, he did all the talking and made the deals and placed the orders.  Then I went with Mrs. Escobar to Costco and bought tons of snack foods and paper products!  We could barely fit it all in the van.

Here are some pictures I took on my drive up...



Wednesday, we went to Patrick Henry College and set up the room.  Here is where we served the meals (the arrows were Mr. Escobar's idea)...


Rebekah busy with paperwork.  :-)

Spencer getting the cameras ready to go.

We had almost 70 people that registered!  This is only a portion of the crowd...

It was a lot of work to keep 80 people supplied with hot coffee, cold water, lemonade, cut up fruit, and several varieties of munchy snacks for nine hours a day.  The meals were a challenge, too, because we wanted to have them there on time, but not so early that they wouldn't stay warm.  It worked out fairly well and we always had leftovers.  We had chinese for lunch on Thursday, lasagnas for lunch on Friday, pizzas for supper on Friday, and subway sandwiches for lunch on Saturday.  I never could have survived without my wonderful helper, Elizabeth (a new Advent intern).  She was amazing!

Oh, and on Friday night we had a screening of "Hero," which is still in post-production.  I got to see my four seconds of screen time, where I'm featured as the girl running the concession stand!  I was so excited!  :-D  They will probably be releasing the film early next year.  I'll keep you informed!

The following eight pictures were taken on Spencer's Canon 60D...

Mr. Escobar speaking...

 Such a "David" look!  Haha!  :-D  He did a fantastic job putting on the workshop this year.  If there is anything he can't do...I haven't discovered what it is yet.  He is super intelligent, incredibly competent, and full of godly wisdom and advice.  In short...a treasured big brother.  :-)

Group picture...


 Two beautiful and talented ladies!

Our three actors (and guest speakers on Saturday) -- Victoria Emmons, Rebekah Cook, and John Klicka.

My sweet friend, Lauren (all the way from Florida!).

Another treasured big brother - Spencer (all the way from Wisconsin)!

It was so wonderful to be working with my dear friends that I haven't seen since we finished production on "Alone Yet Not Alone."  Meal times at the Escobars' are so much fun!  There is usually an average of 16 people there at any given time.  It's like being part of a huge family.  I was glad I was able to stay a few extra days after the workshop.




In church Sunday morning (after 3 hours of sleep)...

The morning I left, I got up early with Lauren and went for a nice walk around the neighborhood.  I was excited to see some horses!



My last meal at the Escobars'.  Enjoying Eric's special seat while he's at work (hehe!).  The stuffed dog is kind of an inside joke (Eric hates it).

Well, I guess that about covers it!  I was up there for about 10 days, and I wish I could have stayed longer.  I love those folks and I'm glad I had the chance to help out for a while.  Now I'm trying to catch up on some rest, and hoping for some quality family time during this 4th of July weekend!

Does your family have any 4th of July traditions?  We pretty much never do anything...which I think is sad...  Maybe I can start some new traditions this year...  :-)
   

No comments: