Monday, May 28, 2012

Tribute to My Grandpa

On Memorial Day, it is fitting that I should pay tribute to my Grandpa who died last Thursday morning at the age of 91.  He served his country with honor and distinction for 41 years.  My aunt has composed an outline of his military career and acheivements, which I have shared below...




Brig. Gen. Robert Julian Bradshaw:
A Member of the Greatest Generation

Dad admired the military so much, he joined Co. G, 116th Infantry Regiment, 29th Division (VA National Guard) in June 1937, at the age of 16.  Mama Ruth & Daddy Mel signed for him and indicated he was 17 years old.  When the 29th Division was called to active duty in February 1941, he was an infantry platoon sergeant and only 20 years old.  He was commissioned an Infantry 2LT in December of 1942, and stationed at the Infantry School at Fort Benning, GA, where he was an instructor for Officers Candidate School (OCS) and Infantry Basic and Advanced Officer courses.

Dad deployed to northern Ireland in late January 1944, and was assigned to the 81st Chemical Battalion.  He arrived on Omaha Beach four days after D-Day, on the 10th of June, and was reassigned as a Company Executive Officer in the 43rd Reinforcement Battalion, a part of the Fifth Army.  He served in all five (5) campaigns of the European Theater of Operations with the 43rd Battalion.

After returning home as Captain in November 1945, he remained in the Army Reserve until the 29th Division was reorganized in 1947.  He rejoined his old regiment, the 116th, and served as company commander (12 years), battle group adjutant, brigade S-3, battalion XO, battalion  commander, brigade commander (3years), and finally as the Commanding General of the 116th (Stonewall) Separate Infantry Brigade, until his retirement in 1978.  In all, Dad served 41 years in the service to our nation and to the Virginia National Guard and nearly 37 years in the 116th Infantry Regiment.

He was twice awarded the Virginia Legion of Merit.  In honor of his distinguished service, he was promoted by the Governor of VA to the rank of Major General in the George Washington Division of the Virginia Defense Force.  Also he was installed in the Hall of Fame of the Officer Candidate School, Fort Benning GA.

Dad was not only a military man, he was a farmer, a Sunday School teacher, a father, and a husband of 36 years to our mother, Nancy Courter Bradshaw.  Dad loved to play tennis, swim, and square dance.  At age 65 he drove out to Alta, Utah and learned how to downhill snow ski with Philip and myself.  His favorite foods were soft-shell crabs and fried oysters.



Grandpa's health had been very poor (and declining) over the past several years.  He suffered from Parkinson's Disease and Macular Degeneration, among other things.  I am so blessed that I had the chance to see him the day before he died.  We drove out there on a spur-of-the-moment whim, little knowing it would be his last day on earth.  I had the chance to sing to him and tell him about my big upcoming adventure (which most of you don't even know about yet...so stay tuned for another post in the relatively near future!).  He sat with his eyes closed and didn't respond much at all...which is how it's been for the past few years. 

So in a way, it was almost like we had already lost him a while back.  That makes it easier to let him go, but it's still going to be very hard to get through the funeral on Saturday.  Especially while he receives full military honors.  I know I will fall apart when they fold the flag, fire the guns in salute, and play taps.  But they will be tears of pride.

I love you, Grandpa.  I miss the days when we would come out and you would show me how to ride a horse, and all the times when I would venture up the creaking stairs and once again explore with fascination the small Civil War plantation home where you lived.  I miss your smile and your raspy laugh.  I wish I could remember all those times I see in the pictures where you are taking me for a buggy ride, pulling me in a wagon or on a sled, giving me a piggy-back ride, or reading me a book.  But even though I can't recall those special times, at least I have the pictures to remember them for me.  Thank you for those times that you spent with me, and thank you for your service to our country.  I am proud that you were my Grandpa.







 




 



  

4 comments:

Carra said...

Oh I'm so sorry. Praying for the Lord's Love and Grace to fill your hearts in this time.

In Christ,
Carra

Unknown said...

Will be praying for you as you go through this hard time in your life... It sounds like your grandfather was a really special person.
May the Lord comfort you and give you strength in the fullness of his love.
In Him,
Andrew B.

Rachel Heffington said...

Praying for you all, dear Stacey! Thank you for sharing all of this with us!

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Thank you all so much! I appreciate your kind words and your prayes! :-)