From September 18-26, I played the lead role in a short film called "Blind Faith." The film was a senior thesis project for my friend Marissa Scalzo, a film student at Liberty University. The finished product will probably be 13-15 minutes long.
Two things about my role made me super excited: 1) I got to be blind for part of the film! 2) I got to ride a horse!!!
I'll tell you a little secret -- I've been wanting to play a blind character for at least 12 years. And I've always been crazy about horses. So this was a double-win. :-)
I hadn't been on a horse in over a year and my riding experience has been very limited (I took some lessons when I was young and learned the basics, but I rarely get to ride more than once a year, and it's never more than walking circles around a ring or on a trail ride), so I was a little nervous going into the project. But the director, the DP, and my co-star are all experienced riders so I had plenty of coaching and everything went fine!
Thicker (the horse) got nervous around the camera equipment, especially for the first few days, and didn't like getting too close to the huge RED camera, but she did a great job.
First, some iPhone pics...
Scotty Curlee and Doug Miller (LU film school faculty) stopped by set.
Our first scene of the film!
Out in the ring with Thicker, our picture horse!
Filming a car scene with my friend Shaina, who plays my sister!
Last day on set.
Flavia Ruffner plays my trainer. This lady is amazing. Opera singer, former professional jockey...she's done a little bit of everything! And she was so perfect for this part, and very fun to spend time with. Whether it was loaning me makeup when our makeup artist didn't show up, or letting me wear her riding boots and helmut, or giving me riding advice, she was a life-saver.
Here are some photos that Shaina took...
And now the pictures I took with my real camera. :-)
My stunt double and her gorgeous horse Lakota!
Shaina, Carolyn, and Sarah ready to do their scene!
Our awesome camera team - Micah (1st AC) and Rebecca (DP)!
I loved seeing Elmer at the barn every day!
With Rebecca and Marissa after we wrapped. It was a fun shoot!
One thing for sure, I had a blast being on a horse almost every day, and I hope it's not another year before I have a chance to ride again. I really want to improve my riding skills. And hopefully one day I can fulfill my heart's desire and be in a western movie. :-)



























No comments:
Post a Comment