It's really neat how the Lord works. Michael Tolosa, a filmmaker in Northern Virginia, went to see the first screening of "The Senior Prank" back in June. We had connected on Facebook a year or two ago and were hoping to meet in person at the screening, but I ended up getting sick and couldn't make it. He really liked the film and sent me a very nice message to tell me that I did a great job. I appreciated his encouragement, especially since I hadn't even seen the movie yet.
A week or so later, he messaged me again to say that he and Gary Voelker wanted to make a short film that summer just for fun. They have made a lot of films for the 48-hour competitions and the 168 film festival, so they wanted to make one just for fun without those time pressures. Michael said they wanted to use me in the film and asked what my availability was for one weekend during the summer.
First of all, I about hit the roof. Michael and Gary make AMAZING, award winning short films and I have been wanting to work with them for a long time! To have them approach me was incredible! In the next instant, my spirits sank because I was booked on other films for every weekend in July and August. I said that I would see if I wasn't needed for one weekend in August and would let them know. I didn't end up finding out my schedule for the film in August until the end of July, and my free weekend was only two weeks away. I felt sure there was no way they would pull together a film on that short notice, and certainly there was no way everybody's schedules would end up being open on that particular weekend.
A few days went by before I messaged Michael because I was in the transition of moving home after "Uncommon" finished filming. Then, one day, I said I had to make sure I sent him a message before it got any later. But before I could contact him that day, HE sent ME a message saying that they were looking at filming the weekend of August 17th, and was I available?
Guess what.
A few days went by before I messaged Michael because I was in the transition of moving home after "Uncommon" finished filming. Then, one day, I said I had to make sure I sent him a message before it got any later. But before I could contact him that day, HE sent ME a message saying that they were looking at filming the weekend of August 17th, and was I available?
Guess what.
That's the only weekend I was free.
Coincidence? I think not.
Our God is a big God. And He opens the doors He wants opened.
Our God is a big God. And He opens the doors He wants opened.
And He never ceases to amaze me. :-)
I had a great weekend working with these fine people and can't wait to do it again! Michael wrote a comedic script called "Rules for Small Groups." I played the "host" of this corporate-styled video, and would explain the rules for how to do a small group (like through your church). Then we would show exaggerated examples of people doing it the wrong way.
It was a great stretching experience for me, because I had to do things completely opposite of what I'm used to. I had to look straight at the camera for one thing, and I couldn't talk in a natural, conversational tone. Think about an airline stewardess or corporate video host who has given this spiel a hundred times and is sick of explaining it to these morons but plasters on a smile and gives an energetic delivery nonetheless. It was challenging, but fun!
Okay, now for some pictures. Enjoy!
It was a great stretching experience for me, because I had to do things completely opposite of what I'm used to. I had to look straight at the camera for one thing, and I couldn't talk in a natural, conversational tone. Think about an airline stewardess or corporate video host who has given this spiel a hundred times and is sick of explaining it to these morons but plasters on a smile and gives an energetic delivery nonetheless. It was challenging, but fun!
Okay, now for some pictures. Enjoy!
What a talented group of actresses! So fun to work with.
Stephanie Quick, Sophia Reaves, Jessica Cain, Megan Tolosa, and Missy Temme.
Stephanie Quick, Sophia Reaves, Jessica Cain, Megan Tolosa, and Missy Temme.
Director Gary Voelker (and my friend Josh Murray on the TV screen, haha!).
Writer/Producer Michael Tolosa running sound for the shoot.
Most of our cast and crew!
To learn more about Experience Studios, check out their Facebook page.
Okay, and just because you ought to see one of their other short films, here is one I really enjoyed! You will see some familiar faces (Missy Temme and Josh Murray).
And here is the teaser for their 168 film project this year (I can't wait to see the whole film!).












No comments:
Post a Comment