Yesterday marked the halfway point. Seven days ago, our two female puppies were spayed. Five days from now, we can put them in their great big pen outside and allow them to run and jump and fight with each other to their heart's content. For now, however, they must stay inside all the time except when they're on a leash, and we must try to keep them calm and quiet.
Have you ever tried keeping two high-energy, 40 and 60 lb. lab puppies calm and quiet? It is virtually impossible. Needless to say, we're having quite a time of it. It doesn't help that they've decided to start waking up at preposterous hours, like 5:30 am, and of course they don't want to go back to sleep. So either we get up with them, or they bark non-stop until we do. Yep, it's been quite a challenge.
I have to keep reminding myself that this is a trial, a test of character, and a great opportunity for character growth. Not to mention that it's practice for motherhood (sleep deprivation, constant care and supervision of someone who's dependent on you, trying to multi-task and get chores down while caring and supervising, etc.). :-)
There have definitely been many moments when I was sure I wouldn't survive the next few hours...much less the whole 12 days...but God's grace is sufficient and He gives me the strength I need to get through each day. One thing for sure...I will have a new appreciation for the freedom we have when we can put them back out in the pen. Right now, productivity is limited to a few hours a day while they're sleeping (and by then, I'm so exhausted it's hard to be terribly productive).
Tonight, the puppies had an encounter with our cat, Bonnie, in the bathroom. We usually try to sneak Bonnie in the house, then down into the basement or into Mom's room, just to keep some peace in the house. The puppies get so excited when they see her! Daisy is more aggressive, but my Buttercup is willing to just sit and stare at the cat forever. She's rather fascinated by this fluffy, furry creature. Bonnie doesn't seem to fear them a bit (after all, she's the queen of the roost, right?). She doesn't like it when they start barking or get in her face too much, though.
Here's a picture and a very short video clip of their interaction in the bathroom tonight. Daisy is the one barking (that's what she does best!).
Well, it's 9:30 and I'm off to bed. I guarantee we'll be waking up at 5:30 again tomorrow... :-)

No comments:
Post a Comment