Monday, March 14, 2011

Williamsburg Film Festival 2011

Howdy there, partner!  Saddle up your cayuse and ride a ways down the trail with me while I undertake to tell you about my adventures at the Williamsburg Film Festival last Friday!  There was a passel of rootin' tootin' shootin' cowboys and cowgirls there, and me and my sidekick Stephen had quite a time!  I was Annie Oakley and he was The Rifleman.  If you haven't seen either of those old TV shows, you're really missin' out on somethin' special.  Anyhow, we hit the trail on Friday morning, and arrived at the hotel where they were holdin' the shindig at about 11:15.  I called up my pal, Daniel Cross, who's a native of those parts, and he headed on over to join in the festivities.  

Below you can see many of my compadres.  My brother is the good-lookin' fella in front holdin' the rifle.


Stephen and I with our tall amigo, Daniel.

An old friend of ours, Ronnie Aycoth (Wild Bill Elliott when in costume).

Another dear friend, Franklin Pierce (aka Frank Slade...aka Pete).

I was mighty grateful to share this fun experience with my brother.



And yes, I made my costume.  Several years ago, in fact.  Here's the original model that mine is based on (with a few slight alterations):


  
And for Stephen (actually, for Daniel a few years ago), I modified a corduroy shirt to resemble what Chuck Connors wears as The Rifleman (for a better frontal view, see other pictures above):



  
Yes sir, we had a mighty fine time!  I sure hope the good Lord works it out for us to go back again next year.  
   

4 comments:

Alyssa W. said...

I so gald you had such a fun time at the festival! Your outfit is the cutest! :)
Happy Trails!

Unknown said...

Howdy Pardner!
Looks like you done had a bang up good time! I shore like them costumes, the only thing yore misin' is the six-gun!
I done seen Annie Get Your Gun, but ain't never heard of The Rifleman. I'll have to see if I ken skere me up a copy of that one...
Keep ridin',
Straight Shootin' Andy

Stacey Bradshaw said...

Thank you both for the comments!

Andrew, I think you'll find that the Annie Oakley TV show was a powerful sight different than Annie Get Your Gun...although they're both based on the same character. I very much prefer the old TV show. :-)

Here is a link for the Annie Oakley show: http://www.amazon.com/Annie-Oakley-Volumes-1-5-5-DVD/dp/B000WPJSZG/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1300241602&sr=1-3

And here is a link for The Rifleman: http://www.amazon.com/RIFLEMAN-16-BOXED-SET-80-EPISODES-INTERACTIVE/dp/B002JB3VJA/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1300241638&sr=1-1

There are different boxed sets available, and I'm not necessarily endorsing The Rifleman set that I linked to, although it looks like it might be a good one. You can shop around and read the reviews.

I highly recommend both series. If your family is looking for some delightful, wholesome entertainment, it doesn't get much better than this (in my opinion)! :-)

Unknown said...

Oh, I didn't realize there was an "Annie Oakley Show", I'll have to check that out... :-) One of our family's favorites is the Andy Griffith Show, along with the Beverly Hillbillies, and the Dick Van Dyke Show... Why don't they make movies like they used to?
Andrew B.