If there is one happy boy in the world, it's my brother! Stephen is so excited about his new bass. He started taking guitar lessons last September, and has picked up on it VERY quickly. He is definitely a natural. His teacher is the leader of a bluegrass band, so it's little wonder that Stephen has fallen in love with bluegrass music. He learned a lot of the songs that the band plays, and he was doing so well that his teacher even made him an associate member of their band so he can come play with them at all their practices! Stephen goes to every jam session he can, and he has performed two or three times with his teacher at an open mic event at the outdoor theater downtown.
Mr. Garner has also started teaching Stephen how to pluck away at the upright bass. Stephen loved that, too, and soon wanted a bass of his own! Mom found one on Craig's list for a very reasonable price, so a few weeks ago, Stephen, Dad, and Mr. Garner drove more than 8-9 hours round-trip to look at it. Fortunately, it was in great condition, so they bought it and Stephen became the proud new owner of a beautiful new instrument! Now he's trying to raise over $900 to go to fiddling camp in Tennessee with Mr. Garner next summer to take classes for the bass.
Anyhow, we had a little photo shoot out in the front yard last week, and here are some of my favorite pictures...
I have such a cute little brother!!! (Just don't tell him I said so!) He is growing up so fast, and I am very proud of him. He will always be my little buddy. :-)
Here's a video I uploaded of him playing the bass on the stage at the outdoor theater at the last open mic, with his teacher - Mr. Garner - singing and playing guitar, Waverly on fiddle, and Mr. Green contributing some vocals. Enjoy!
4 comments:
Congratulations Stephen!
That looks like a very nice Bass!Glad you were able to find a good deal!
Does the band you play with have a Banjo player? I like to play the banjo, although I'm not very good...
I enjoyed the video, sounded real good!
Andrew B.
Yes, the band Stephen plays with has a banjo player! I love to hear the banjo, but I can't imagine how much work and skill it must take to be good at it. You should keep practicing! :-)
~ Stacey
What a fun blog Stacey! I enjoyed hearing about your summer goings on. Looks like lots of fun! Have you made any of your "big decisions" yet? I hope God makes it clear for you which job to take. What a blessing to have TWO potentials! Have a wonderful weekend, and I'll be seeing you around the blogosphere :-)
KRISTIN!!! I just realized who you are! You did the Stamp It Up party at Stephanie's, didn't you? I knew you looked familiar, but I'm so used to other bloggers living halfway around the world that I didn't question it enough to figure out the connection! And then when I saw someone from Roanoke had visited my blog at the same time you commented, it finally clicked. :-D
Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog! And yes, God worked everything out regarding my film jobs! (Thanks for reminding me I need to write an update post about that!) One of the jobs got pushed back to Spring, so I will be able to help with BOTH! God is so amazing, and I am so blessed! :-)
Thanks for asking, and I hope you have a great week!
Post a Comment