Warning: long post ahead! Lots of pictures, lots of words, and a video at the end that you won't want to miss! Not that it's terribly amazing, but it will give you a visual peek into my week in San Antonio. I threw it together in a bit of a rush yesterday morning while I had a few hours to use my brother's computer (thereby giving me access to iMovie), but I think it turned out decently well. Anyway, even if you don't want to read my thoughts about the festival, at least skip to the end and watch the video. Comments and criticisms are welcome (I'd love to hear your thoughts on how I could make such a video more interesting. I'm pretty new to doing this).
Okay, here we go...
On Sunday, I had to brave the airport for the first time since October 2010 (before the TSA became such a terror). All the passengers had to pass through the body scanner, but I'm thankful that I didn't get pulled for a pat down (one lady behind me did). After several hours and a long layover in Atlanta, I arrived in sunny San Antonio and enjoyed a relaxed evening with my friend Anna and her family (and I got to see "The Rocketeer" for the first time - great movie!). It had just started snowing back home when I left, so I was happy about the warm weather in Texas!
Monday morning, we were up bright and early and headed to San Antonio for the first day of the Christian Film Academy. I didn't have enough money to attend the Academy this year, but I had wonderful plans to roam the city and take lots of pictures while enjoying the warm weather. It was supposed to get up in the 60's on Monday. But what I failed to account for was how long it would take to warm up that much. So, most of the day was spent indoors hiding from the chilly, overcast weather. But I did get to enjoy some warm sun after lunch while I sat outside at the food court with my friend Nathanael (who wasn't attending the Academy, either), and took lots and lots of pictures of ducks and pidgeons. :-)
Monday morning, we were up bright and early and headed to San Antonio for the first day of the Christian Film Academy. I didn't have enough money to attend the Academy this year, but I had wonderful plans to roam the city and take lots of pictures while enjoying the warm weather. It was supposed to get up in the 60's on Monday. But what I failed to account for was how long it would take to warm up that much. So, most of the day was spent indoors hiding from the chilly, overcast weather. But I did get to enjoy some warm sun after lunch while I sat outside at the food court with my friend Nathanael (who wasn't attending the Academy, either), and took lots and lots of pictures of ducks and pidgeons. :-)
(No, this isn't a pidgeon or a duck. It is, in fact, my friend Nathanael.)
A colorful pheasant that roams the courtyard at the Marriott (where the Academy was held).
Now we're getting to the ducks and pidgeons!
Spencer and Laina:
Tuesday was much warmer! Yay! I went to lunch with Spencer, Joshua, and Mr. Munger...
After lunch, I roamed the River Walk by myself. I took MORE pictures of ducks (hehe!), and had fun taking pictures of other subjects as well. :-)
I had a great time playing with my camera settings and figuring out how to get the glossy effect with running water! I've been wanting to find a waterfall and do that for a LONG TIME. I was pretty happy!
three men of excellent character, and very talented in their fields of expertise!
Virginia Phillips! So adorable. :-)
Tuesday afternoon, Derek Moreland asked me to help direct some of the scenes that volunteers would act out for Kirk Cameron on Wednesday. I was very excited to participate, and ended up blocking and directing a scene from "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (so perfect for me!). I had a blast. We worked through it for a while, then Derek came over and polished it up. He is much better at tweaking smaller details than I am. :-)
Back at Casa Rio on Wednesday night for dinner with great friends!
Scott Eash, Caleb Angelino, Derek Moreland, and Shad Eash.
From the park, we rushed to the opening ceremonies for the Film Festival.
Friday night, we managed to get a picture of all the folks at the Festival who had worked on "Alone Yet Not Alone" (except for Mr. Escobar and Nathanael Brunner, whom we couldn't locate). It was quite a "family reunion"!
My dear friend and kindred spirit, Anna! I had so much fun staying at her house for the whole week and getting to spend some more time with her.
Stephen Kendrick accepting the award for Best of Festival (for "Courageous"),
and giving the glory to God. :-)
Love these guys! Peter Forbes and Nate Eckerson.
We've worked on multiple Advent films together.
Filmmakers from PA - Josiah Einwechter and Shad Eash!
Two wonderful and godly young men that I am blessed to call my friends.
Two wonderful and godly young men that I am blessed to call my friends.
Three cherished friends - David, Christy, and Rebekah Cook!
Four wonderful young men from the HueMoore team! I was so blessed to spend more time with most of them this year and get to know them better.
(R-L: Derek Moreland, Johnny Reighard, Gator Moore, and John Moore)
This is what happens when you acquiesce to John's request for "one more picture!" :-)
Many people have asked me about my favorite part of the Festival. I didn't have to think too hard about that one. My favorite part was definitely the fellowship with so many amazing, godly people who are not only my friends, but fellow filmmakers as well! That's pretty special. I don't get to hang out with filmmakers more than a few times a year, so to be surrounded by hundreds and even thousands of them at once...WOW! What a blessing!
Last year (well, technically a year and a half ago) was my first time attending, so I only knew the handful of Advent people that were also there. This year, however, I knew all the Advent people PLUS the many new friends I had made last time PLUS the filmmakers that I had met and become friends with on Facebook and was finally meeting in person for the first time, and on top of that, there were so many new people to meet! That's one of the big reasons I went down for the Academy even though I wouldn't be attending. I knew I could use all the breaks and meals to visit with people and keep networking (because there was no way I could pack all of that socializing into the 2.5 days of the Festival!).
I spent the majority of my time getting to know people better that I had met last year (or on Facebook). Even though I am an extrovert, I am also very shy (don't ask how that makes sense). Once I know someone, I am perfectly fine and can talk to them all day (as long as they talk back), but it's rather difficult for me to jump that first hurdle of introducing myself and meeting someone for the first time. If they approach me or if someone introduces us, then there's no difficulty. And honestly, I am getting better about putting myself forth and meeting people.
However, I am also the type of person who prefers several close friendships instead of many acquaintances. Thus my tendency to spend more time getting to know people better instead of meeting as many people as I can. But one advantage to knowing more people this year was that I could meet new people more easily THROUGH the friends that I already had. Counting through the number of new Facebook friends that I've acquired as a result of the Festival, I would say that I met 30-40 new people this year. For me...I'd say that's pretty good.
Another thing I really enjoyed was never having to be alone. It's not terribly pleasant to feel lost in a sea of 2,000+ strangers. Having so many friends allowed me to bounce around from one group to another and always have someone to talk to or go to meals with, etc. Oh, I had so much fun!!! I am unbelievably blessed to have so many precious friends! I only wish I could see most of them more than once a year. I'm hoping that God will open the door for many of us to work together on projects in the coming months...
You're probably wondering if I watched any films. (I was at a Film Festival, after all!) Why yes, I did watch a few! My friend Chad Stembridge made an excellent documentary called "Sforzando" about a music camp hosted by a church in Chicago. Some friends of mine in PA (Shad and Scott Eash and Josiah Einwechter) made a humorous and compelling short film called "I Don't Believe in Guns" based on an analogy by Gary DeMar (follow the link to view it online for free!).
The only feature I watched was "Seasons of Gray," and it was phenomenal! They're planning a theatrical release this year, but need our help to bring the film to more cities across the USA. The story is about a modern day Joseph, and it is so well done! One of the things I loved about it (besides the fact that "Joseph" - aka Brady - is a cowboy) is that they manage to keep you guessing throughout the entire film. We ALL know the story of Joseph, but the movie was never predictable. And the production quality was excellent. It won the People's Choice award at the Festival by a landslide. So yes, this is one you'll probably want to go see. It's definitely one I would like to own and watch again. :-)
There are many more films that I would have liked to watch, but people always trump movies. I would love to able to view all the films and see what everybody is doing, but it is so hard to sit in a screening room for an extended amount of time when there are so many people to be talking to (and only a few days to do it in!). Besides, networking is one of most valuable things you can do at the Festival.
I always leave the Festival so refreshed (in a occupational way; I am always completely exhausted physically). The teaching and exhortation I receive from the speakers and the encouragement from other like-minded filmmakers never fails to inspire, convict, and challange me. How am I using my time at home to learn and grow in the skills God has given me? To what extent am I seeking the Lord? Geoff Botkin used his son Benjamin (a gifted composer) as an example of how we will produce our best work when we are most fervently seeking to know God better. And as Stephen Kendrick challenged us -- if God asks me to lay aside my pet dreams and projects in order to follow a different path or pursue a different project, am I willing to sacrifice my will for His?
Okay, here's the video I put together. I took over 125 videos during the course of the week, so it wasn't easy to pick which clips to use, but here is a 3 1/2 min. video that gives an overview of my week in San Antonio. Once Daniel is back home this weekend and I'm able to use his computer, I'll put together some clips with their actual audio so you can hear some of the speakers, etc. But for now, take a look at this one and please leave me some feedback! As a viewer, what do you like, and how could I make it more interesting?
Oh, and as a disclaimer - parts of the video became more jerky at some point during the rendering/exporting process. It wasn't all due to my camera work (although that does need improving). :-)
4 comments:
Looks like a fabulous time, Stacey! :) (And it's really strange--we are friends with a girl who knows the Einwachters really well. :D)
That is so funny, Rachel! The world gets smaller all the time. :-) Does your friend live up there in PA?
Yep! :) Her name is Sarah Rea--she's Bethany Hertzler's great friend. :)
Wow, the connections keep growing! I'm hoping I can catch a ride with the Hertzlers the next time they're heading up that way so I can visit with the Einwechters and some other friends in that area. :-)
Post a Comment