Monday, March 25, 2013

A Casting Call & an Unexpected Snow Storm

Whew!  Yesterday was one crazy adventure!  Shaina, Michelle, and I drove almost an hour and a half to a casting call for extras for the AMC TV show pilot, "Turn."  It's set in the Revolutionary War and based on the book "Washington's Spies," so it sounds pretty fun!  Shaina met us halfway at a commuter "park and ride" lot.  I was planning to drive the rest of the way, but once we got there, Shaina offered to drive her Jeep since she knows I'm not fond of driving in big cities.  It was a blessing she did, as you'll soon discover!

We waited in line for three hours at the casting call.  Once we were finally almost to the end of the line, they told us we had to take off all our makeup.  It wasn't very possible to do that without a mirror or a sink (and plain water will NOT take off my mascara), but they actually had face wipes waiting for us at the desk where we dropped off our paper work.  So we sat down and scrubbed our faces, then were called one by one to step inside a small room where the casting director snapped our picture.  Then we were done!  The actual process was over so quickly, I can't even imagine how many people were there to make it take three hours (the line wound around so many hallways, you could never see far ahead of you or have any idea how many people were in line or how far the line stretched!). 

Okay, I'll tell a funny story on myself before I continue with the harrowing tale of our ride home.

One assistant came down the line and told us to be sure to mention to the casting director if we had any experience as a stand-in.  I wavored back and forth, since I've never been a stand-in specifically, but so many times on "The Senior Prank," I stood in for myself while they set up camera and lights instead of having someone else stand in for me, so I figured that ought to count for something!  I mean, I understand what is required of a stand-in, and I definitely know how to handle myself properly on set, so it was something I could do!  I figured it was worth a shot to mention it, so once I got in the room, the dialogue went something like this...

Me: "I was told to mention if I had any stand-in experience."
Casting Director: "Ah, yes!  Who did you stand in for?"
Me: "Well, uh, myself.  I was a principal actor in a feature film last year, and often I would just stand in for myself instead of having someone else come in and do it, because I wanted to be there--"
Casting Director: "Oh, I see."
Me: "--So I have experience being on a set and doing all that..."
Casting Director: "But have you stood in for a celebrity?"
Me: "Ummm, no, ma'am."
Casting Director: "Ok, thank you."

And out the door I went, feeling quite foolish.  Haha!  Well, maybe I at least made an impression, and hopefully not a bad one.  It's worth a try, right?  I didn't know it had to be for a celebrity.  I'm still capable and qualified.  But I felt pretty silly saying I had stood in for myself when they meant it had to be for a celebrity.  I just have to laugh about it, though.  :-)

Finally done and ready to head home!
 

Okay, now on to the scary ride home.  By the time we came out, a snow storm had started.  The forecast had said it would rain that day, and the wintry weather wasn't supposed to come until the next day (listen to that! I shouldn't even be having to say "wintry weather" at the end of March!).  Anyway, we hadn't gotten very far when the roads started to be very slushy, and we weren't out of the big city when it became downright treacherous.  The worst part was at stop lights.  Shaina was driving really slow, but having to stop and start caused the Jeep to slide and lose control.  Thankfully, God kept us from sliding into other lanes (and into other cars!).  We started seeing cars off the road on either side of us.  It was scary to watch cars sliding across multiple lanes of traffic, and even scarier to start sliding ourselves, but the amazing part was that we didn't see any multiple-car accidents!  As many cars as were on the road (with up to four or five lanes on both sides!), none of them seemed to slide into each other.

Once when we were getting ready to go through a green light, the car ahead of us braked suddenly, forcing Shaina to brake more quickly than the Jeep could handle.  We slipped and slid and did a 180 degree turn before stopping.  PRAISE GOD that nobody was close enough behind us to ram us in the side, and we didn't slide into the cars around us!  Shaina was able to accelerate gently enough and get the Jeep turned back in the right direction so we could keep going. 

For an hour and a half, we crawled along at 10 to 20 miles an hour (on a 60 mph highway).  It took us an hour and a half to get back to the commuter lot where we left my car, and it should only have taken 30-40 minutes.  We were praying the whole way, and were SOOOOO relieved to get there safely and be off the road.  I had many friends on Facebook praying for us as well, and I am so thankful for their prayers on our behalf!  God really worked overtime to keep us safe, and we could tell that His angels were surrounding our car. 

Shaina's dad and brother came in their 4 wheel drive truck to take her home, and my grandparents came in their 4 wheel drive Yukon to take Michelle and I back to their house, where we spent the night since we couldn't get all the way home.  I haven't been snowed in at my grandparents' house in over 10 years!  I came straight to work at the library today in their Yukon, and later we'll have to drive halfway back to the city to retreive my car.  I'm so glad they lived close enough to come get us!  It would have taken my brother a lot longer to retreive us in his truck.

God's protection was evident in every little detail of the day yesterday.  I was planning to drive all the way into the city, but Shaina offered to drive when we met at the commuter lot.  My car never would have survived on those treacherous roads coming home, and I'm sure we would have wound up stuck in a ditch!  And when I think of what it would have been like if I had gone down there by myself, I feel sick inside. 

I don't have any pictures from our trip on the snowy roads because they're on my phone and it died last night, but here are some pictures I took at my grandparents' house this morning on Granny's camera...




Yep, lots of snow.  And quite unexpected.  From now on, I should keep an overnight bag in my car for emergancies such as this.  Never underestimate the power and comfort of a toothbrush and a change of clothes!  And I think I shall keep my phone charger with me at all times from hence forwards.  Well, thus ends my tale of our adventures and God's grace.  I hope everyone else is doing well and staying safe!  And I truly hope that Spring comes SOON...  I don't ever remember Winter lasting so long...
  

No comments: